Wheat Growing Experimental Consortium for Sicily
The Wheat Growing Experimental Consortium for Sicily is a research institution with legal personality, under protection of the Regional of Agriculture and Food of the Sicily Region.
The Agency was established in 1927 with RD: 1292. The members are provincial administrations and their Sicilian Chambers of Commerce and the City of Caltagirone.
The Experimental Station Consorziale granicoltura for Sicily conducts research and has acquired extensive experience in the genetic improvement aimed at obtaining varieties with valuable characteristics of herbaceous species of agricultural interest, especially wheat, grain legumes and forage crops, and in assessing biochemical, technological and nutritional cereals and their products obtained with different transformation processes. Remarkable is the commitment of the station for storage, maintenance and enhancement of germplasm of herbaceous species of agricultural interest.
The main activities are:
- conservation, maintenance and enhancement of germplasm of ancient Sicilian varieties of durum wheat
- genetic improvement of durum wheat and grain legumes and fodder
- test of agronomic techniques with particular attention to the needs of the hot arid climates
- control and monitoring of internal production or import to the problem of contamination by mycotoxins
- biochemical evaluation, technological and nutritional cereals and their products obtained with different processes of transformation
- development of software for the application of the computerized image to qualitative characterization and commodity grain.